What exactly is aromatherapy you ask? Aromatherapy is considered alternative medicine. It is where you use natural oils that are extracted from all different parts of plants and flowers, and use them to enhance psychological and physical well-being. Even though the term aromatherapy is a new age term, the use of essential oils dates back thousands of years. The Greeks, Egyptians, and Chinese are all known to have used essential oils in their day to day lives.
There are many benefits to aromatherapy. Let’s take a look at 5 great health benefits from aromatherapy.
- Stress Relief. Stress relief is probably the most common use of aromatherapy. The aromas from many different essential oils are known as relaxants. For stress relief, the best essential oils are: lavender oil, lemon oil, peppermint, bergamot, vetiver, and ylang ylang.
- Energy Level Boost. There are many things that we humans do on a daily basis trying to give ourselves that little boost of energy, such as coffee, “energy drinks”, and cigarettes. However, these do not work and can have ill effects on your body. There are many essential oils that are known to naturally give you that boost of energy you need. For an energy level boost, the best essential oils are: cinnamon, black pepper, cardamom, clove, jasmine, tea tree, angelica, sage, and rosemary.
- Headaches are the worst! A lot of people rely heavily on Tylenol and Aspirin when they shouldn’t have too! With the right essential oils, you can reduce the amount nasty headaches that come your way! The best essential oils for headaches are: peppermint, sandalwood, eucalyptus, and rosemary.
- Pain Relief. Don’t you hate being in pain? Don’t you hate having to rely on pain medication to make you feel better? Now, you don’t have too. Aromatherapy is quite useful in pain relief. The best essential oils for pain relief are: chamomile, lavender, juniper, eucalyptus, clary sage, rosemary, and peppermint.
- Sleep Aid. Not getting enough sleep is not only unhealthy, but it also can make the day drag on and make you feel like you have no energy left. Aromatherapy can change things around. According to Organic Facts, aromatherapy “can provide us with a more balanced sleep schedule and can even realign our Circadian rhythms so our body naturally gets tired at an appropriate time, sleeps restfully through the night, and is energized in the morning to face the day”. The best essential oils for sleep aid are: chamomile, lavender, jasmine, sweet marjoram, benzoin, sandalwood, neroli, rose, ylang ylang.
Aromatherapy is good for the body and the mind. There are many essential oils out there that can help with day to day ailments. However, you should remember to always consult with your doctor before using essentials oils, and before you embark on a new treatment plan. Also, get your essential oils from approved sources and for Heaven’s sake, do not attempt to mix and use oils unless you have been trained.